recipes from a feeder / photographic food diary / reviews / pie

Monday 9 January 2012

Palm Restaurant - West Hollywood, Los Angeles

Larry: I think I am just going to get a Cobb Salad. I'd like to make a few substitutions, if that's OK. I'll get... no bacon. No eggs. Blue cheese on the side. 

Cliff Cobb: Are you sure you want a Cobb Salad? Do you do that every time you order that salad? 

Larry: Do you have a problem with it? 

Cliff Cobb: It's my grandfather's salad. I'm a Cobb of Cobb salad fame. 

Larry: I think that this is a real bullshit story. 

(Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season 2 Episode 3) 

There are, of course, various tales of how the famous salad was invented, one in particular says that it came about in the 1930s at thHollywood Brown Derby restaurant, where it became a signature dish named after the owner, Robert Howard CobbThe Cobb salad is traditionally made from chopped salad greens,tomato, crisp bacon, boiled or roasted chicken breast, hard-boiled eggavocado,chives, red-wine vinaigrette and Roquefort cheese.

First night in LA. Jet-lagged. Craving a steak. We were pointed in the direction of the Palm restaurant in West Hollywood, famed for their steak and lobster selection. This wasn't a bad choice. 


Nova Scotia Lobster Cobb Salad - 6 ounces of Nova Scotia lobster meat, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, green beans, bacon, avocado, sharp cheddar and egg tossed in garlic vinaigrette. 

So not a traditional Cobb salad, but yum nevertheless. Could have done with less egg and more cheese, but i guess i'd say that about most things. 

Excellent service, and the waiter was so kind as to point me in the direction of a large glass of chilled Californian Riesling and pack up the salad for me to take back to my hotel and eat in the morning, no part of me was prepared to let a $40 salad to to waste. 



 See, fresh as a daisy.

9001 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA, 90069


No comments:

Post a Comment