recipes from a feeder / photographic food diary / reviews / pie

Monday 3 October 2011

banana bread

My obsession with banana bread started soon after Foxcroft and Ginger opened around the corner from me in Soho. It hasn't taken long for Foxcroft, located at the end of Berwick Street market, to become my favourite lunch time eatery in Central London, maybe something to do with their daily changing menu, freshly baked bread, and their beyond perfect Croque Monsieur served with a maple syrup drizzle? 



I make it my business to try banana bread if it's on the menu in any cafe I go to, and as a self authorised banana bread connoisseur, I believe Foxcroft and Ginger could quite possibly have the best banana bread I have ever tasted.  

Short of asking for their recipe, with trial and error I found a recipe with the perfect stodgy texture.


250g plain flour
1 tsp bi carb
1/2 tsp salt
200g caster sugar
25g light brown sugar
4 over ripe bananas
85ml buttermilk or full fat milk with 1 tsp lemon juice
75g walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt 

into a large mixing bowl.

Cream the butter and sugar together 

Add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk

Fold in the flour mixture.

Pour the cake mixture into the tin.

Bake for about an hour

No comments:

Post a Comment